New Delhi: India is the global host of 2018 World Environment Day, June 5. Every year the United Nations declares a theme and a host country, and encourages people across the globe to achieve goals based on that. This year the theme is ‘Beat Plastic Pollution’.
Indians seem to be well aware of the day, even though the menace of plastic is a long-term fight, people have taken upon themselves to keep their surroundings clean.
In the wake of World Environment Day, the lanes and by-lanes of the capital had been cleaner as compared to usual days. It remains to be see how soon and how effectively we can curb plastic pollution on land and water.
Rashtrapati Bhavan and Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu tweeted:
See how Prime Minister Narednra Modi and other eminent personalities urged Indians to beath plastic pollution in various ways on this World Environment Day.
Many politicians took to Twitter to spread the message of beating the plastic pollution.
Some facts disclosed by UN environment:
- Every year the world uses up to 5 trillion plastic bags
- Each year, at least 13 million tonnes of plastic end up in the oceans, the equivalent of a full garbage truck every minute.
- In the last decade, we produced more plastic than in the whole last century
- 50 percent of the plastic we use is single-use or disposable
- We buy 1 million plastic bottles every minute
- Plastic makes up 10% of all of the waste we generate