Washington: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday threatened to impose the “strongest sanctions in history” against Iran if the country’s leadership did not change the course of its foreign and domestic policy, reports showed.
Weeks after Trump pulled out of the nuclear deal with Iran, Pompeo spelled out a hardline approach towards the Islamic Republic that included working closely with the Pentagon and regional allies to contain Iran. -Agencies
Trump lays out 12 demands for Iran
- Pompeo laid out 12 demands for Iran and said relief from economic sanctions would only come when US had seen tangible shifts in Iran’s policies. Pompeo said the US would hold those doing prohibited business in Iran to account, reports revealed
- His threat of further sanctions came as European parties to the landmark nuclear deal – France, Britain and Germany – were working to find a way to keep the pact in effect with Iran after Washington’s exit. Pompeo said US would be open to a new treaty
Withdrawal from the 2015 nuke deal
Earlier in May, Donald Trump withdrew from the 2015 nuclear deal which he called a ‘horrible, one-sided deal’, saying it did not ‘address Iran’s ballistic missile activities and check in its regional behaviour’