Trump warns Assad against ‘reckless attack’ on Idlib province

Washington: US President Donald Trump has warned the president of Syria Bashar al-Assad and allies Iran and Russia against any ‘reckless’ attack on the Idlib province of Syria. Trump issued this warning to the Syrian regime and their allies on Monday when he tweeted, ”President Bashar al-Assad should not recklessly attack Idlib province. The Russians and the Iranians would be making a grave humanitarian mistake to take part in this potential human tragedy. Hundreds of thousands of people could be killed. Don’t let that happen!”

The point to be taken into consideration is that in the seven-year-long civil war, the rest of the major Syrian cities have been taken over by the government forces. These include parts of Damascus, Homs, Raqqa and Aleppo. Idlib is the only major province still under the rebel control and the sources from the regime forces told Reuters that they will soon launch a phased offensive to regain control of the province.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that Washington views any such attack on Idlib as an escalation of the Syrian war. Even Nikki Haley, the Ambassador of the United States to the UN tweeted,” All eyes on the actions of Mr. Assad, Russia and Iran in Idlib #NoChemicalWeapon.”

On the other hand, it seems that there hardly has been any impact of the warnings by the American administration. Just before an upcoming summit between Iran, Russia, Turkey and Syria to discuss the plan of action on Idlib — which Tehran will host on Sept 7– the Iranian Foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif travelled to Syria to sign an agreement for defence cooperation between the two countries.

Earlier in the turn of events, the Saudi-American backed Rebel forces have been strategically losing their important strongholds in Syria since Russian Intervention of Syrian civil war in 2015.