[dropcap]T[/dropcap]atkal ticket booking helps passengers who plan to travel at a short notice. The Tatkal reservation scheme was introduced by Indian Railways in 1997. Under this system, passengers can book railway tickets through the Tatkal window, whereas the Railway ministry has now introduced new measures to help passengers book Tatkal tickets online.
Here are some ground rules about the Tatkal scheme. Firstly, only two Tatkal tickets can be booked per user ID during 10:00-12:00 hrs. Secondly, only one tatkal ticket can be booked per session under the new scheme. However, the return journey tickets can be booked in the same session. Also, the Railways will allow the booking of only two Tatkal tickets per IP address, during the time from 10:00 to 12:00 hrs.
The Tatkal scheme has made train travel easier even while booking tickets on the go. Further, under the Tatkal scheme, the e-ticket booking and its payment have become a lot easier. Mentioned below, is the fare for Tatkal tickets:
|Travelling Class||Minimum Tatkal Charges (INR)||Maximum Tatkal Charges (INR)||Minimum Distance for Charge (KM)|
|AC Chair Car||125||225||250|
|AC 3 Tier||300||400||500|
|AC 2 Tier||400||500||500|
Tatkal Scheme Booking:
Takal Ticket booking commences a day earlier than the date of journey. The booking window opens at 10:00 am for AC classes and at 11:00 am for non-AC classes. Also, only a maximum of four passengers per PNR is allowed under the Tatkal booking scheme.
Refunds and Cancellations under Tatkal Scheme:
- No refund is granted on cancellation of confirmed Tatkal tickets.
- A passenger can claim for full refund of fare on Tatkal tickets if the train is more than three hours late from the originating point (not the boarding point).
- A passenger can also claim for refunds if the train is to run on a diverted route; or if a person is not willing to travel.
- In the latter case, the passenger has to file Ticket Deposit Receipt (TDR) along with the proper reason for claiming a refund.
- Full refund shall be provided to the passenger if he/she is being accommodated in a lower class and they don’t wish to travel in the lower class. However, if they agree to do so, he/she shall be refunded the difference of fare alongside the difference of Tatkal charges.
- As for RAC and waitlisted Tatkal tickets, refunds shall be given if the ticket is cancelled up to 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train.