New Delhi: Election strategist Prashant Kishor – the man who played an instrumental role in the victory of Narendra Modi in 2014 Lok Sabha polls and Nitish Kumar in Bihar assembly elections — took the political plunge on Sunday with the latter’s Janata Dal (United).
All top JD (U) leaders, including Kumar, were present when Kishor officially joined the party. Earlier in the day, Kishor had tweeted that he was excited to start his new journey from Bihar.
Tweeting ahead of the ceremony, Kishor said, “Excited to start my new journey from Bihar!”
Last week, while addressing students at Indian School of Business in Hyderabad, Kishor had confirmed his career shift saying he was done with campaigning for individuals and parties and is now “ready for electoral politics.”
Of late, Kishor had series of meetings with Kumar which had raised a buzz that JD(U) might be his chosen party.
The political buzz is that Kishor may contest the upcoming Lok Sabha election from Buxar, his home constituency.
Kishor’s entry in the JD(U) is likely to give a fillip to Nitish Kumar’s prospects in 2019 General Elections with the Bihar CM in a bind lately given an increasingly expansionist BJP. With Kishor in his ranks, Kumar is likely to enter 2019 with better bargaining power.
Here are the major highlights from Kishor’s career:
- Kishore started his career as a public health expert and worked for programmes run by the United Nations.
- Ahead of the 2014 general elections, Kishore worked closely with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s election campaign.
- He parted ways with the BJP thereafter and is credited with bringing all opposition parties together in Bihar to script a massive victory of JD(U), RJD and Congress combine in 2015.
- Kishore, however, could not galvanise the opposition in UP in Assembly elections when the BJP pulverised the Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance and the BSP to secure a three-fourths majority in the House.
- Interestingly, in the last two years, Kishore’s election consultancy I-PAC has been working for YSR Congress party’s YS Jaganmohan Reddy.