Raebareli: Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the Gandhi bastion Raebareli today, and addressed a rally where he attacked the Congress on several issues including Rafale row, AgustaWestland chopper scam and others.
Speaking at the home turf of Sonia Gandhi, PM Modi claimed that the Congress has always weakened the Army and has done nothing for the development of the area.
Modi also inspected the Modern Coach Factory and flagged off the 900th coach and a Humsafar Rake of the factory. The visit comes days after the BJP lost the three heartland states of Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh to the Congress and its allies.
Sonia Gandhi has not visited Raebareli since April this year.
Here are the key points from PM Modi’s speech:
- Referring to the Rafale deal that has been going on for quite a while now, Modi said, “The people of the party that raises questions on surgical strikes, trust enemy’s prices more than our Army, what can be expected of them?”
- Talking about the VVIP chopper scam, the prime minister said, “Congress’s history in defence deals is that of uncle Quattrocchi. Helicopter scam accused Christian Michel was brought to the country a few days ago. Everyone saw how Congress sent their lawyer to save him.”
- Putting emphasis on Congress’s promise of creating jobs, Modi said, “When the earlier government decided to construct this factory [Modern Coach Factory], it was decided that 5,000 employees will be hired. But only half of these recruitments were approved.” Modi highlighted that in 2014, no new recruitment was done in the factory.
- Further talking about the Modern Coach Factory, Modi said that it was sanctioned in 2007 and was built in 2010. “For 4 years parts of the coach from Kapurthala were assembled and painted here. The factory that was supposed to make new coaches was never allowed to work at its full capacity,” he added.
- Taking a dig at the Congress, the prime minister said, “Today there are two sides before the country. One side is the government that is trying to strengthen our forces. The other side that wants to weaken our forces at any cost.” The country has witnessed that Congress stands with the forces that don’t want our forces to strengthen, Modi added.