WPP Plc.-owned creative agency, Ogilvy and Mather, on Wednesday promoted Piyush Pandey, executive chairman and creative director, Ogilvy South Asia, as its global chief creative officer (CCO), effective 1 January 2019.
The position was lying vacant since July after the agency sacked its worldwide CCO, Tham Khai Meng, following charges of misconduct.
“We could not be more thrilled that Piyush will be serving as our chief creative officer, worldwide, and my creative partner. Creativity has and will always be at the heart of the Ogilvy brand and culture. Piyush is the perfect leader to shepherd that legacy as we continue to focus on making brands matter as the leading creative network in the world,” said John Seifert, chief executive, worldwide, Ogilvy, in a statement.
Pandey (63), will be based in Mumbai and will retain his current responsibilities of leading the Indian business.
Ogilvy also announced the expansion of its worldwide creative council from 12 members to 20, with women comprising half of the creative leadership team.
Facts about Pandey:
- Having been associated with Ogilvy since 1982 and with more than three decades of experience in the advertising industry, Pandey has created many memorable campaigns for brands such as Cadbury, Fevicol and Asian Paints, among others.
- Pandey was awarded Lion of St Mark, the Cannes Lions’ Lifetime Achievement Award, along with brother and filmmaker Prasoon Pandey.
- It is the highest honour that the Cannes International Festival of Creativity bestows on creative geniuses within the communications industry.
- The Pandey brothers were not only the first Asians to win the award, but were also the first from WPP to be awarded a Lion of St Mark.
- Besides, Pandey was the first Asian to be a jury president at the Cannes Film Festival, in 2004.
- He was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award from CLIO Awards in 2012.
- Last year, he received the Lifetime Achievement Award from The Advertising Agencies Association of India (AAAI). He is also the first person in advertising to receive the Padma Shri, an award conferred by the President of India.
- More recently, in 2014, Pandey was part of the media team that worked on the Lok Sabha election campaign of Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which became the first party in 30 years to win a majority on its own in the Lower House of Parliament. He coined the slogan “Ab ki baar Modi sarkar” (this time around, a Modi government). Pandey described the 2014 Lok Sabha elections as a “golden campaign”.
- His team at Ogilvy also worked on the BJP’s election campaign in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand where the BJP scored big wins in 2017.
- Pandey, who grew up in Jaipur, has also worked on the creative accounts of both the Indian Premier League (IPL) and Mumbai Indians, the league’s Mumbai franchise owned by tycoon Mukesh Ambani.
- Cricket was a big part of Pandey’s life while growing up. His proficiency in the sport helped him get admission to Delhi University’s prestigious St Stephen’s College. Pandey says that in his early years in the profession, the advertising world of the 1970s and 1980s was not very appreciative of the consumer.
Some of his iconic ads: