New Zealand mosque shooting: 40 feared dead, attack live streamed

Christchurch: At least one gunman targeted crowded mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch killing a number of people on Friday.

The death toll in the attack has reached over 40 while 25 are in critical condition. Four perpetrators are in custody, including three men and one woman. IEDs attached to vehicles have been defused. The attack was live streamed.

A gunman who opened fire inside the Masjid Al Noor mosque live-streamed his attack in a 17-minute video that appeared to be recorded on a helmet camera.

The Facebook video started with the man driving up to mosque in Christchurch. After parking his car, he armed himself with at least one semi-automatic gun and walked into the mosque, immediately shooting a person in the doorway.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has described the shooting as “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”.

The shooting took place at Masjid al Noor in central Christchurch and another mosque. Masjid al Noor was filled with worshippers, when the attack happened, as it was a second mosque in suburban Linwood.

Narrow escape for Bangladesh cricket team

Members of the Bangladesh cricket team were about to reach when the shooter opened fire.

Bangladesh Cricket Board spokesman Jalal Yunus said most of the players were about to go inside when shooting began.

“They are safe. But they are mentally shocked. We have asked the team to stay confined in the hotel,” he said.

He said Bangladesh cricket board is in contact with New Zealand cricket authorities and would take further decisions after consultation.

Bangladesh cricketer Tamim Iqbal tweeted that it was a “frightening experience” and that there were “active shooters”.

“Entire team got saved from active shooters!!!” he tweeted.

A Palestinian man in the mosque, who did not want to give his name, said he saw a man shot in the head.

“I heard three quick shots then after about 10 seconds it started again it must have been an automatic no one could pull a trigger that quick,” he said.

“Then people started running out. Some were covered in blood.”