Mumbai: Following the foot overbridge (FOB) collapse incident in Mumbai in which six people were killed, Maharashtra minister Vinod Tawde has said the bridge was not considered risky and it had only some minor defects.
Tawde said bridge required minor repairs for which work was underway. He said an investigation would be conducted to find out why the bridge was open for public despite repairs were being undertaken. He said both Railways and the civic body would investigate the matter.
Safety audit had declared bridge safe
A safety audit of the structure by the civic body last year had declared the bridge “safe”.
The bridge connected the CST railway station with the Azad Maidan Police Station. Senior police officers are supervising the operations. NDRF initially said 10-12 people could be trapped under debris, but the police later said that was not the case.
Six people were killed and 33 injured when the foot overbridge near Mumbai’s landmark Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus railway station collapsed on Thursday evening. The overbridge was under repair but it was still in use.
Deeply anguished: PM
Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted to say he was “deeply anguished by the loss of lives”.
The overbridge was built in 1984. The traffic in the area has been hit and the police have asked commuters to use alternate routes.
Minor repairs had been carried out on the CST bridge six months ago as part of a safety audit ordered when another foot overbridge collapsed in Andheri last June. The audit had encompassed 445 bridges of the city.
Two of those killed are women and used to work at the GT Hospital, where 10 of the injured people have been shifted. Ten others have been moved to the St George hospital.
A railway official said the bridge was of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation. “However, we are providing all our support to the victims. Railway doctors and officials are assisting BMC in relief and rescue work,” he said.
BMC Commissioner and @MumbaiPolice officials are instructed to ensure speedy relief efforts in coordination with @RailMinIndia officials,” Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis tweeted.
“We are deeply saddened by the news of the #MumbaiBridgeCollapse, our thoughts & prayers are with the families of those who lost their lives & we wish the injured a speedy recovery. We urge all Congress workers to help in any way they can,” the Congress tweeted.