New Delhi: The Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha resumed its session on Monday, 23 July, after a motion of no-confidence against the Narendra Modi government was expectedly defeated in the Lok Sabha. The ruling NDA defeated the no-confidence motion on Friday with 325 votes.
The Lok Sabha was adjourned till 2:05 pm following ruckus around Alwar lynching.
Earlier in the day, Rajya Sabha was also adjourned till 12:00 noon after uproar in the house on Anand Sharma’s comment on Central Investigation agencies.
Here are the main highlights of the session:
- As per reports, Congress is set to move privilege motion against Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in Lok Sabha on Rafael issue.
- Jan Adhikar Party (JAP) MP Pappu Yadav raised demanded CBI inquiry in Muzaffarpur Shelter Home rape while addressing the issue in Lok Sabha. As per reports, 44 children at the Muzaffarpur shelter home were allegedly sexually-abused 209 of which were suspected to be rape. This was confirmed by Muzaffarpur Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Harpreet Kaur adding an FIR was lodged against the staff of Sewa Sankalp Ewam Vikas Samiti, an NGO, on May 31.
- Railway Minister Piyush Goyal sought leave to present Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code amendment, which was eventually granted by Speaker Sumitra Mahajan
- The Parliament is scheduled to discuss on Monday, Trafficking of Persons (Prevention, Protection and Rehabilitation) Bill, which was introduced in Lok Sabha on July 18, 2018 by Maneka Gandhi, the Minister for Women and Child Development.
- TDP MP Jayadev Galla on Monday morning said that his party had been moving no-confidence motion for entire second half of budget session and finally when it was accepted in Monsoon session, PM steered clear of all the questions. He added that there is no other option than to protest. Earlier, TDP MPs were seen protesting in front of Mahatma Gandhi statue in Parliament over special category status to Andhra Pradesh and implementation of AP re-organizing Act. Additionally, TDP MP YS Chowdary had given notice in Rajya Sabha under rule 267 to discuss AP Re-organisation Act.
- Prior to the start of Monday’s session, Congress MP Mallikarjun Kharge had said that his govt is encouraging the incidents of cow vigilantism in the country and that his party will raise the issue in the Parliament today.