A defamation case was filed against Tanushree Dutta for her comments about Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray, the state police said on Thursday.
The 34-year-old actress, who accused actor Nana Patekar of harassing her on the sets of a film in 2008, recently said Raj Thackeray wanted to succeed late Bal Thackeray as the Shiv Sena chief, but could not do so. Previously, she had alleged that the MNS was involved in vandalising her vehicle when she opted out of the 2008 film, Horn Ok Pleassss.
The case was filed by the Kaij police in Maharashtra’s Beed district on Wednesday evening after MNS district unit president Sumant Dhas lodged a complaint, alleging that Dutta had defamed his party chief, a police officer said.
“We have registered a non-cognisable offence against Dutta under Section 500 (defamation) of the Indian Penal Code and are investigating the complaint. We have also asked the complainant to approach court,” the officer said.
Maharashtra Navnirman Sena threatens Bigg Boss makers
The youth wing of Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) has threatened the makers of TV reality show Bigg Boss saying that the party would not take it lightly if Tanushree were allowed on the show.
The letter issued by MNS workers says as per Republic, “Tanushree Dutta is making false allegations against MNS chief Raj Thackeray for the sake of publicity and to enter Bigg Boss. MNS would not tolerate any false allegations against party president Raj Thackeray, Marathi artistes and Marathi people in general. We will vandalise the Bigg Boss house if the makers rope in Tanushree and would even stage a huge protest to stop the show.”
Swara Bhasker lashes out at MNS
Veere Di Wedding actress Swara Bhasker took to Twitter and slammed the political party, “IS THIS A JOKE?????? Or are we now just okay with institutionalised hooliganism?????? And who takes pictures with the goons that threaten vandalism????? WHAT IS WRONG WITH US GUYS??!????
IS THIS A JOKE?????? Or are we now just okay with institutionalised hooliganism?????? And who takes pictures with the goons that threaten vandalism????? WHAT IS WRONG WITH US GUYS??!???? https://t.co/dL8gZvlYAR
— Swara Bhasker (@ReallySwara) October 4, 2018
Protection is not against Nana Patekar: Maharashtra government
Tanushree issued a statement saying that the MNS party had been threatening her, “This is on top of other threats issued to me from Nana’s side. Amidst all this, the Mumbai police has reached out and offered their support. They have promised me 24 hours police protection and have posted their armed personnel around my home.”
However, the Maharashtra government said that the police protection given to Tanushree is not against Nana. Deepak Vasant Kesarkar, minister of state, home, Maharashtra, told ANI, “Protection is given against certain incidents that have happened and not against Nana Patekar. It is wrongly been quoted. Unless there is a complaint against and other things, you cannot accuse a person of his status (Nana Patekar) because he is not only an actor but also a very well known social worker. So, whatever evidence come before us without any bias but it should not be made public that the protection is given to her because her car was attacked.”
The case so far:
- Tanushree Dutta in an interview alleged that Nana Patekar had harassed her during the shooting of a song in 2008, for the film Horn OK Pleassss.
- She said that several people – actor Nana Patekar, producer Sami Siddiqui, director Rakesh Sarang and choreographer Ganesh Acharya – were involved in the incident.
- “Post the incident on the sets of Horn ‘OK’ Pleassss in 2008, Nana Patekar called up this political party which has a reputation of vandalism and causing damages on the sets. “They had my car vandalised, which is also first degree assault by a mob,” said Tanushree in an interview.
- Nana Patekar dismissed Tanushree’s claims back in 2008 after the incident. Recently, Nana laughed it off when he was questioned about the serious allegations and in turn asked, “What does she mean by sexual harassment? There were 50-100 people on set with me,” and comtemplated on taking legal actions against her. Ganesh Acharya dismissed her claims as well.
- Tanushree also accused filmmaker Vivek Agnihotri for harassing her on the sets of Chocolate: Deep Dark Secrets. “Vivek Agnihotri wanted me to give cues to an actor (Irrfan Khan). It was an actor’s close-up. It was not even my shot. I was not even going to be in the shot. It was the actor’s close-up and he had to just look at something and give expressions. This director, he told me to strip and give cues,” Tanushree Dutta told DNA.
- A video footage from 2008, resurfaced online, supporting claims of the actress that her car was vandalised by a mob after she was harassed by Nana Patekar on the sets of Horn Ok Pleassss.
- Senior journalist Janice Sequeira, who was present on the sets on that day, took to social media to recall the event.
- Several actors from Bollywood – Twinkle Khanna, Swara Bhasker, Sonam Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra, among others – came out in support of Tanushree Dutta.
- Assistant director of Chocolate dismissed her claims, and said that it was a dance sequence when she was asked to remove her robe for a over-the-shoulder close-up shot of Irrfan Khan.
- Nana Patekar sent legal notice to Tanushree Dutta asking for an apology.
- Tanushree said that she has been slapped with two legal notices by Patekar and filmmaker Vivek Agnihotri after she accused them of misbehaving with her in two separate incidents.