New Delhi: The main accused in the shocking case – where a 19-year-old woman was gang raped in Haryana’s Rewari – is a serving army man who is posted in Rajasthan.
As per reports, the Haryana Police has made efforts to secure an arrest warrant against him.
“Main accused is a serving defence personnel stationed in Rajasthan. We are getting a warrant against him,” Director General of Police (DGP) BS Sandhu said in a statement. He said efforts are also on to arrest the other two accused in the case.
The police have announced a reward of Rs 1 lakh for anyone who provides information about the accused.
The National Commission for Women has also taken a suo motu cognisance of the case and has written to the DGP seeking updates about the investigation.
- A 19-year-old woman was kidnapped and gang raped in Mahendragarh district of Haryana on Wednesday. She was kidnapped by two people in a car while she was heading for her coaching classes in Kanina town of Mahendragarh district.
- The duo took her to a secluded place, served her with a drink laced with sedatives, called their friend and gang raped her.
- After raping the woman, who is a recipient of the President’s award for academic achievements, the accused called her parents to tell them about the location where they had dropped her.
- Speaking to news agency ANI on Friday, the woman’s mother said the police have failed to act in the case. “Modi ji says ‘beti padhao, beti bachao’ but how? I want justice for my daughter. Police have taken no action yet,” she said.
- Police have registered an FIR against three people in this case. All of them are reportedly from the woman’s village. But no arrest has been made so far.
- The Haryana Police has now formed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the case.
- Additional Director General of Police (operation) AS Chawla said the SIT will be headed by Superintendent of Police (SP) (Nuh) Nazneen Bhasin. The SP and other members of the SIT visited the rape survivour and spoke to her on Saturday morning.
- In a statement, Bhasin said the medical report of the woman confirms she was raped. “According to the call record data, the accused left the village on September 12. I appeal to the people to give us any information they have regarding the case. We have announced a reward of Rs 1 lakh for those who help us in cracking the case,” she said.
- When asked about the allegations that police refused to register an FIR and ridiculed the woman saying she was trying to frame the accused, Bhasin said, “This is a matter of inquiry. We will speak to the victim’s family and investigate.”
- Speaking about the matter, Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar on Friday said, “Law will take its own course and whoever is found guilty will be punished.”
- Former Haryana CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda said that the law and order has “totally failed” in Haryana. “The government should resign on moral grounds,” he said.
- Meanwhile, the woman is being treated at the district hospital in Rewari. Doctors said she is recovering from the trauma and her condition is stable.
- “Her X-ray and ultrasound reports are normal. We will continue to review her condition regularly,” said medical superintendent of Rewari district hospital Dr Sudarshan Panwar.
(With agency inputs)