Kamal Haasan not to contest but comes up with a big list of promises

New Delhi: Putting all speculations to rest, actor-politician Kamal Haasan on Sunday said he won’t be contesting upcoming Lok Sabha elections.

Makkal Needhi Maiam (MNM) president released his party manifesto and the second list of candidates at a programme in Chennai on Sunday. Haasan said, “All candidates are my faces. I am proud being the chariot puller than being the chariot.”

The MNM manifesto promises 50 lakh jobs, equal pay and reservation for women and an astounding 100 per cent profit for farmers among seven other promises that the party aims to achieve in the next five years if voted to power in the state of Tamil Nadu.

Free WiFi, no toll on highways and home delivery of PDS rations also promised

The 64-year-old also promised free WiFi, no toll on highways and home delivery of rations of the Public Distribution System.

A surprising promise was ensuring that Governors of states get elected by its legislators. Haasan had released first list of 21 candidates of his party for the Lok Sabha elections in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry earlier this week.

The second list features the party Vice President Mahendran would be contesting from the Coimbatore seat and lyricist and former Big Boss contestant Snehan who would has been given ticket from Sivaganga constituency.

The first list included veteran actor Nassar’s wife, Kameela Nassar, who will contest from Chennai Central.

Launched a year ago, the MNM aims to focus on the fight against corruption and development of rural Tamil Nadu. It has not tied up with the Dravidian parties – the ruling AIADMK and the opposition DMK – that Haasan had strongly criticised.

An alliance with the BJP was also ruled out early on by the party chief, who, has been critical of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

“PM Modi is the rich man’s security guard. He doesn’t meet journalists and his biggest achievement is bringing Tamil youth to Twitter for the #GoBackModi campaign,” he said on Sunday.