New Delhi: Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy on Sunday termed as “incorrect, insensitive and very unfortunate” Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s remarks against the state’s Congress-Janata Dal (Secular) coalition government for its loan waiver scheme.
It is sad that the PM is misleading the people of the nation without obtaining the full facts about the scheme,” Kumaraswamy said.
Along with a 12-point “update” to refute the claim made by PM Modi, the Chief Minister’s office, released a district-wise detail of funds disbursed for the purpose. Kumaraswamy said that Rs 350 crore has been already paid to about 60,000 farmers electronically into their individual accounts, and another one lakh farmers will get around Rs 400 crore. Defending his government’s stance, Kumaraswamy claimed the scheme to be “an open book” and said caution was being exercised to reach true farmers.
The PM had said, “What they have done in the name of loan waiver for the farmers will go down in history as one of the most cruel jokes on farmers. After six months in power, reports say the government could only benefit a handful of farmers with the loan waiver scheme. These people go around the country, claim credit for what they have done for the farmers. Will they also take credit for the farmers committing suicide?” He was responding to a party worker from Belagavi who sought to know his views on the plight of farmers.
Addressing BJP booth workers from Belagavi, Bidar, Davangere, Dharwad and Haveri in Karnataka through video conference on Friday, PM Modi had called the state’s farm loan waiver to be one of the “most cruel jokes”.
While addressing a rally in Ghazipur on Saturday, Modi said, “Even in Karnataka, Congress made a backstage entry and established a government there. They gave lollipops to people in terms of assurances, and promised loan waiver but only 800 people got their loan waived. How can you trust these lollipop companies?”
In response, Kumaraswamy said that Modi was demeaning the state government for political gain by making such incorrect remarks. As part of the press release, he also released certain facts and figures about the farmers’ crop loan waiver.
“Hon’ble Prime Minister may kindly note the following updates and facts about the Farmers crop loan waiver before making such incorrect statements:
- Crop Loan waiver is an open book and information available ONLINE unlike any other state.
- Government of Karnataka is handling honest tax payers’ Public Money with caution to reach true farmers.
- It is ensured that every genuine farmer gets the benefit.
- All middlemen, particularly in co-operative sector are weeded out.
- Other States have shown keen interest in this system. Aadhaar and electronic authentication of land records and Ration Card has ensured genuine farmers get the waiver.
- So far Rs.350 Crore has been paid to about 60000 farmers electronically into individual accounts of the farmers.
- Payments are being made every week electronically into farmers’ loan/SB account.
- Next week another one lakh farmers will get about Rs. 400 Crore.
- As many as 8.5 lakh farmers have given their Aadhar, ration card and RTC details out of 21 lakh farmers in commercial Crop loanees in about 10 days.
- We will complete all genuine farmers by the end of January 2019
- The officials have shown great commitment and are working on priority for the expeditious payment within January transparently and achieving successful implementation of the scheme
- The details of district wise release of loan waiver money is enclosed.”
“Despite all the above facts, making such remarks is indeed not expected on the part of Hon’ble Prime Minister”, Kumaraswamy added.