‘Insult to our soldiers’ : Congress accuses PM Modi of shooting for film in aftermath of Pulwama attack

New Delhi: The Congress on Thursday fired fresh salvo against Prime Minister Narendra Modi, charging him of exhibiting an insensitive approach when the CRPF convoy in Jammu & Kashmir were targeted in a fatal terrorist attack. Modi, at the time, was “busy shooting” for a film in Uttarakhand’s Jim Corbett park, the party said.

Surjewala said that when the entire nation was mourning the loss of jawans’ lives, PM Modi was busy shooting for a film. “There is no better example than this of Modi’s insult to our soldiers. At 3:10 pm, when Pulwama attack occurred and was all over news, Modi was shooting for a film till 6:45 PM in Corbett National Park,” he said.

“Is there any Prime Minister in the world like this?” he asked. “For four hours, PM Narendra Modi indulged himself in a film shoot, after a major terror attack. I have no words to express for this behaviour,” the Congress leader said.

On February 14, PM Modi was on a daylong visit to Uttarakhand. He was slated to inaugurate several development projects and address a rally in Rudrapur. But due to bad weather, he was held up at the Dehrudun airport.

On February 17, Surjewala said, when the mortal remains of our soldiers returned to Delhi Airport, PM Modi returned one hour late from Jhansi because he was busy in political campaigns.

“Another shameful instance is when a BJP Minister takes a selfie with the coffin of a slain soldier,” he said while referring to KJ Alphons clicking a selfie with the coffin of a CRPF soldier.

According to reports, PM Modi could feature in a Discovery documentary slated to be released later this month where Modi will recall his days of spiritual sojourn in the Himalayas in the early days of his career. The shooting was held in Jim Corbett National Park on February 14 which was attended by PM Modi.

A section of social media users had been taking stinging jibes against the Prime Minister, after images of the documentary shoot went viral.

In the past, the Congress has also not been spared allegations of trivialising a terror attack. After the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, then Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh of the Congress was accompanied in a survey of the terror-hit sites by his actor son Riteish Deshmukh and filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma.

Surjewala referred to PM’s comment that people should not point fingers at such a time, and cited a video of PM Modi (then Gujarat Chief Minister) criticising the Congress government on the 26/11 attacks.

The Congress broadside comes after BJP president Amit Shah targeted the opposition party in a rally after the attack. Amit Shah said that the martyrdom of the soldiers “will not go waste as it is a BJP government in power, not Congress”.

BJP leader Ashok Thakur rubbished today’s Congress allegations saying all issues were taken up before the Saudi Prince. “The Congress has no right to say anything, there should be no politics on this,” he said.

Recommended For You