New Delhi: Tech giant Google, on Tuesday, said it is working with multiple partners to use new-age technologies like artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) to improve response time to natural disasters like floods as well as addressing healthcare challenges.
Google Technical Project Manager (TensorFlow) Anitha Vijayakumar said the company has developed a system that uses AI for early and accurate flood warnings, including guiding over areas that are dangerous and prone to flooding. Earlier this year, Google had partnered with ministry of water resources on a pilot for flood warning based on AI and ML. Vijayakumar said the pilot can be extended to other parts of the country and expressed hope that the system will eventually be “able to give longer lead times to people, helping them seek safety”.
￼ We also activated Person Finder in English and Malayalam, to help people search and track family and friends – on last count, there were 22,000 records in person finder. We also extended this information on Google Maps to aid the rescue efforts,’ -Rajan Anandan, vice president, Google (SE Asia and India)
How Google helped in Kerala
- Floods have wreaked havoc across states this year, with Kerala being the worst-hit. Hundreds have lost their lives, while thousands have been rendered homeless. More than 7.8 lakh people are estimated to be in relief camps.
- Google has launched a series of measures to provide help and assistance in Kerala. It activated SOS alerts on search which captured all the emergency resources and response numbers in English and Malayalam.
Google Ads’ products to support more languages
- After expanding its ad products to support Tamil, Bengali and Telugu across Search, Display Network and YouTube, Google said it would soon be adding support for other Indian languages, starting with Marathi.
- In another India first launch, Google also introduced a campaign planning tool inside Google Ads that allows advertisers to plan reach-based video campaigns.
- “Voice, video and vernacular are 3 big themes that capture the behaviours of India’s growing Internet users. Keeping up with the pace of change in India’s user behaviour, we’re doubling down on our efforts to innovate our ads products for India,” Rajan, said.