New Delhi: Chief minister Arvind Kejriwal, inaugurated the Signature Bridge, a new iconic landmark, along with deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia on Sunday evening. The bridge connecting northeast Delhi to north Delhi is open for public now.
The inauguration was followed by an exhibition showcasing the larger than life journey of Signature Bridge and a laser show.
Speaking at the Inauguration, CM Arvind Kejriwal said, “Like Taj Mahal, an iconic landmark of India, is visited by thousands of travelers from India and abroad, Signature Bridge is going to become one of the must-see tourist attractions of Delhi. An engineering marvel, the structure is twice the height of Qutab Minar, set to be a milestone development in the infrastructural growth of the capital city.”
Manish Sisodia added, “Apart from connecting some major parts of the city, the bridge is a stellar example of engineering and aptly showcases the various developments in the city’s architecture. The bridge also houses a 22 m high steel-glass structure, which shall take visitors to the top of the pylon offering a panoramic view of Delhi. Therefore, apart from enabling better connectivity, the bridge will also be a new tourist attraction in the city, offering some never seen before views.”
A Delhi Public Works Department (PWD) project, the bridge was constructed by Delhi Tourism and Transport Development Corporation (DTTDC). This bridge is double the height of Qutub Minar.
The Signature Bridge connects Wazirabad across the river Yamuna to Inner city, thereby easing the traffic movement.
The western and eastern approaches to the bridge will connect the nearby areas like Timarpur, Nehru Vihar, Wazirabad, Aruna Nagar, Mukherjee Nagar on Ring Road to Bhajanpura on Mangal Pandey Marg.
The travel time between two sides of the bridge will be reduced from 45 minutes to 10 minutes.
DTTDC officials told HT that after Diwali the bridge would be closed between 11pm and 5am for around a month in order to carry out work on the glass façade atop the pylon.
Some salient features of Signature Bridge:
- This iconic bridge has been constructed at the cost of Rs 1518 cr including the cost of western and eastern approaches. The project was approved by the Delhi Cabinet in Feb 2010 and the construction of bridge started immediately thereafter in March 2010.
- The unsymmetrical cable stayed bridge is 575m long, with main span 251 m and dual carriageway of 14 m each (4+4 Lanes).
- The bridge has 154 m high bow shaped steel pylon (more than double the height of Qutub Minar) with cable stays on one side and back stays on the other side.
- The composite bridge deck is made Steel Plate Girders and Precast / Cast-in Situ RCC.
- Bridge health monitoring system will be activated for assessing the long-term health of bridge and taking corrective measures as and when required.
- Horticulture and landscaping works are being carried out to beautify the environment.