New Delhi: Beating Taipei’s Chen Wenling in the third-place play-off bout for the 68kg category, Divya Kakran added the first bronze to India’s wrestling tally at the 18th held in Jakarta Palembang, Indonesia, on Tuesday.
The 20-year-old Asian championships silver-medallist prevailed on account of Technical Superiority with the final scoreline reading 10-0.
The Commonwealth Championship gold medallist used her strength wisely and completely dominated her bout, ending the match in under one minute 30 seconds.
This is India’s third medal in wrestling after Bajrang Punia and Vinesh Phogat claimed gold in their respective categories.
Here are few facts about the wrestler:
- Born in 1998, Kakran is a freestyle wrestler who has won 60 medals, including 17 Gold for Delhi State Championship and has become Bharat Kesari eight times. Bharat Kesri Dangal is freestyle wrestling competition organised by the Haryana Sports and Youth Affairs department to commemorate the martyrdom day of Shaheed Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev.
- Kakran comes from North Delhi and belongs to a middle-class family of Sain Community of Purbaliyan Village in Uttar Pradesh. She stays in east Delhi’s Gokulpur.
- Her Father Suraj Kakran sells Langots and her mother stitches it at home
- Divya is studying BPES from Noida College of Physical Education Physical Education at Dadri.
- She won a gold medal in the Commonwealth Championship held in South Johannesburg, Africa in December 2017.
- Kakran won a silver medal in the Women’s freestyle 69 kg event at the 2017 Asian Wrestling Championships in India.
- After defeating Ritu Malik, Divya Kakran won Bharat Kesri title in the match held in Bhiwani, Haryana. Before this final match, Divya defeated international champion Dangal girl Geeta Phogat on March 22, 2018.