- India declared the first innings by scoring 601 runs for 5 wickets, Kohli scored 254 not out and Jadeja scored 91 runs
- Virat Kohli equals Mahela Jayawardene and Volley Hammond in the most double centuries
- Kohli beats Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Ricky Ponting, Javed Miandad, Younis Khan, Mervan Atapattu
- Kohli is the world’s second and India’s first captain to score 40 centuries in international cricket
- Ricky Ponting has scored the most 41 centuries as a captain in international cricket
Pune: The second match of the three-Test series between India and South Africa is being played in Pune. On Friday, the second day of the Test, India declared the first innings by scoring 601 runs for 5 wickets. South African openers Dean Elgar and Theunis de Bruyn are at the crease. Aiden Markram returned to the pavilion without opening an account. He fell lbw to Umesh Yadav. Earlier, Indian captain Virat Kohli scored an unbeaten 254 runs. Ravindra Jadeja hit an innings of 91 runs.
Kohli scored his 7th double century of Test career. He is the world’s sixth and first Indian player to do so. Kohli overtook Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Ricky Ponting, Javed Miandad, Younis Khan, Mervan Atapattu.
Kohli completes 7000 runs in test
Kohli also completed 7000 runs in Tests. He became the player to score the most double centuries as a captain. Before that, Sir Don Bradman had scored 6 double centuries. Kohli scored his 26th century in Test career. He became the first Indian and the second captain in the world to score 40 centuries in international cricket. In this case, former Australia captain Ricky Ponting scored 41 centuries globally.
Virat scores maximum 150+ runs as captain
Player Country 150+ runs
Virat Kohli India 9
Sir Don Bradman Australia 8
Graeme Smith South Africa 7
Ajinkya Rahane scored 59 runs and was caught by wicketkeeper D Cock off Keshav Maharaj. He shared a 178-run partnership for the fourth wicket with Kohli. It was the 10th-century partnership for any wicket between the two. Ravindra Jadeja hit the 12th career half-century. He shared a 225-run partnership for the fifth wicket with Kohli. Kagiso Rabada took three wickets for South Africa. Keshav Maharaj and Senuran Muthusamy had one success each.
Maximum centuries as captain in international cricket
Player Country Centuries
Ricky Ponting Australia 41
Virat Kohli India 40
Graeme Smith South Africa 33
Steve Smith Australia 20
Michael Clarke Australia 19
Brian Lara West Indies 19