New Delhi: After teasing an all-new superhero – Captain Marvel – in the post-credits scene of Avengers: Infinity war, Marvel studio finally launched a teaser trailer for the character’s much talked about origin movie on Tuesday.
Teased for Captain
- The trailer begins with an explosion in which a woman in armour is thrown into a video store from the skies.
- “I know a renegade soldier when I see one, never occurred to me that one might come from above,” the voiceover of Samuel L Jackson’s Nick Fury booms as Captain Marvel (Brie Larson) gets up with a lost look on her face.
- However, it appears to be an extension of the superhero’s – which is a validation to earlier reports that claimed the movie to be on similar lines.
- As per reports, Danvers will be in possession of her powers, which she gets after her DNA is fused with that of an alien during an accident.
- A former US Air Force fighter pilot, Danvers had left the planet to join Starforce, an elite Kree military team, and upon her return, she retraces her time she had spent on earth.
- The film’s official logline says the film is set in the 1990s and follows the journey of Danvers as she becomes one of the universe’s most powerful heroes. While a galactic war between two alien races reaches Earth, Danvers finds herself and a small cadre of allies at the centre of the maelstrom.
Where does the character stand in the Marvel universe?
Ahead of her foray into the battle against Mad Titan Thanos’ intergalactic rampage – based on the pretext of creating a habitable universe with abundant resources – Captain Marvel would first appear in her origin movie in March 2019. The character is said to play a major role in upcoming Avengers 4 after a post-credits scene in March blockbuster Infinity War showed Fury sending a distress call to Danvers.
- The trailer also gives a glimpse of Jude Law’s Mar-Vell and Clark Gregg’s Phil Coulson, who was last seen in 2011’s The Avengers.
- The film will also feature Lee Pace’s Ronan and Djimon Hounsou’s Korath. Both the characters were first introduced in Guardians of the Galaxy.
- The main villain will be the Skrulls, the shape-shifting aliens who have long been classic villains in Marvel’s comics. Actor Ben Mendelsohn is playing Talos, the leader of the Skrulls.