Rampur: Tanzeem Fatima, Rajya Sabha MP and wife of Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan, has returned a cow gifted to them by a priest over mob lynching scare following the recent killing of a Muslim man in Alwar over suspicion of cow smuggling.
It was a painful decision to return the cow. Four years of BJP rule has unleashed a reign of terror, especially against members of the minority community. -Tanzeem Fatima
It was a painful decision to return the cow, the MP said. Adhokshjanand Maharaj, the Shankaracharya of the Goverdhan Peeth had gifted the cow to Fatima. However, it will not be associated with the SP leader anymore. The MP blamed Modi-led government for this. Fatima alleged that under Modi rule, vigilantes have got the protection and people from minority communities are unsafe.
Meanwhile, Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan charged the government of failing to curb attacks on Muslims who rear cows and earn their livelihood from the dairy trade.
He said a Muslim becomes a victim of lynching for keeping cows. “The government has not been able to stop such violent activities,” Khan said.
In a sarcastic vein, the SP leader said minorities should neither keep cows nor participate in the milk trade. Khan alleged that the BJP’s politics was based on falsehood and its top leaders speak the language of hate.
Earlier Khan had said the safety and security of minorities in the country was in danger, adding that post-independence this was by far the worst period for Muslims.
“For the sake of certain Hindu votes, innocent Muslims are being targeted and killed,” he said.
“Muslims are being killed even if they are spotted with a cow which they rear,” he said, alleging that even the Supreme Court’s serious observations had failed to prompt the BJP governments to stop the mob frenzy.
‘Oppn making mountain out of a mole hill’
- Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath made light of recent mob lynching incidents in some parts of the country and accused the Opposition of making a mountain out of a mole hill.
- In an interview given to an electronic news agency, the monk-turned-politician said that such incidents were being given too much and unnecessary importance.
- He questioned Cong’s offensive against the BJP over mob lynching by questioning them on 1984 Sikh riots that left thousands dead in the aftermath of the assassination of the then PM minister Indira Gandhi.
- The chief minister also announced that his government was for protection for all but added that it was responsibility of every individual, every community and every religion to respect each other’s sentiments.
Four alleged cattle smugglers assaulted
- At least four alleged cattle smugglers transporting a dead buffalo were assaulted by a mob in Hathras on Wednesday morning, police said.
- Villagers alleged that the men were caught while they were transporting the buffalo’s carcass in a pick-up van.
- They were, however, rescued by the police who intervened in time, Hasayan SHO Jitendra Kumar said.
- The owner of the buffalo alleged that the animal had been poisoned by these cattle smugglers.
‘Khattar govt promotes animal slaughter’
- Leader of Opposition in the Haryana Assembly Abhay Singh Chautala has accused the state’s BJP-led govt of hypocrisy, alleging that on one hand it made laws for animal protection and promoted animal slaughter on the other.
- The INLD leader alleged a man from Chandigarh obtained an NOC in Panchkula district for a slaughterhouse on the pretext of setting up a poultry farm and a cold storage.