Article 370/Mobile, internet services snapped in Jammu region again

Jammu: In less than 24 hours, mobile internet services in Jammu region were snapped on Sunday after being resumed on Saturday. The service was snapped in the districts of Jammu, Samba, Kathua, Udhampur and Reasi.

After a gap of 12 days, the 2G mobile internet services in the region were resumed on Saturday. But soon after the restoration, authorities received information about some anti-India message being disseminated in areas near Rajouri.

Therefore, to keep the situation under control, the authorities decided to snap the service. The landline services continue to function in the region.

According to reports, some arrests have also been made by the police.

Though the security personnel are continuing to maintain a strict vigil, a decision has been taken to ease restrictions partially and even completely in some areas.

As of now, low speed internet is functional in 35 police station areas while a decision on high speed internet would be taken at an appropriate time.

Home delivery of LPG cylinders: In Srinagar, to ease the woes of residents, authorities have decided that they would ensure home delivery of LPG cylinders.

Meanwhile, authorities reimposed restrictions on movement in major parts of Kashmir’s biggest city, Srinagar, on Sunday after violent overnight clashes between residents and police in which dozens were injured, two senior officials and eyewitnesses said.

Series of protests: In the past 24 hours, there has been a series of protests against New Delhi’s August 5 revocation of the region’s autonomy. This followed an easing in curbs on movement on Saturday morning.

The state government has said that it has not imposed a curfew over the past two weeks, but on Sunday people were being turned back at multiple roadblocks set up in the city in the past few hours.

Security forces at some roadblocks have told residents there is a curfew.

2 dozen people hospitalized with pellet injuries: Two senior government officials told reporters that at least two dozen people were admitted to hospitals with pellet injuries after violent clashes broke out in the old city on Saturday night.

Representatives in the Jammu and Kashmir government in Srinagar and the federal government in New Delhi did not immediately return calls asking about the latest clampdown or seeking an assessment of the number of injuries and clashes.

One of the official sources said that people pelted security forces with stones in around two dozen places across Srinagar. He said that the intensity of the stone-pelting protests has increased over the past few days.
The heavy overnight clashes took place mostly in Rainawari, Nowhetta and Gojwara areas of the old city where Indian troops fired tear smoke, chilly grenades, and pellets to disperse protesters, eyewitnesses and officials said.

Chilly grenades contain very spicy chili pepper, and produce a major eye and skin irritant, as well as a pungent smell, when they are unleashed.

Clashes also took place in other parts of city: The officials, who declined to be identified because they aren’t supposed to talk to the media, said clashes also took place in other parts of the city including Soura, a hotbed of protests in the past two weeks.

A senior government official and hospital authorities at Srinagar’s main hospital said that at least 17 people came there with pellet injuries. They said 12 were discharged while five with grievous injuries were admitted.

Elderly man dies: The hospital officials and a police officer told Reuters that a 65-year-old man, Mohammad Ayub of Braripora, was admitted to the hospital after he had major breathing difficulties when tear gas and chilly grenades were fired in old city area on Saturday afternoon. He died in the hospital on Saturday night and has already been buried, they said.