Srinagar: Senior PDP leader and Lok Sabha member from Baramulla Muzaffar Hussain Baig warned of another partition of India if lynching of Muslims over cow-smuggling allegations were not stopped forthwith. He was addressing a rally on Saturday to mark the People’s Democratic Party’s (PDP) 19th foundation day.
￼ We want to appeal to Prime Minister Narendra Modi that killing of Muslims in the name of cow be stopped. One partition has already taken place in 1947, (but) more could take place if these continue -Muzaffar Hussain Baig
Referring to the incidents of mob lynching in the name of cow vigilantism, Baig said, “We want to appeal to Prime Minister Narendra Modi that killing of Muslims in the name of cow be stopped. One partition has already taken place in 1947, (but) more could take place if these continue.”
He said the PDP had allied with the BJP not for power but to ensure that justice was done to Muslims across the country and to the Kashmiri people. “We allied with the BJP so that they can trust Muslims. We allied with the BJP so that justice is done to Muslims and Kashmiris and talks with Pakistan can take place,” he added.
Speaking in the lower house, Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged all the state governments to take stringent action against those involved in mob lynching and punish them to curb the menace prevailing in the country.
- 28-year-old man, Rakbar Khan, was allegedly beaten to death in Rajasthan’s Alwar district by an agitated mob on suspicion of cow smuggling.
- He was taking some cows to his village through a forest near Lalawandi area when the locals thrashed him.
- Earlier, in a similar incident, a 50-year-old man named Pehlu Khan was beaten to death last year by cow vigilantes in Alwar district.
- The Supreme Court on July 17 asked the Centre to enact a law to deal with incidents of lynching and take action on mob violence.
People getting lynched, nobody is bothered: SC
- The Supreme Court also expressed concern on Friday over incidents of mob lynching in India triggered by messages spread through social media and said it appears that no one is bothered.
- A Bench of justices Madan B Lokur and UU Lalit observed this when it was hearing a related to blocking of videos of sexual offences on social sites.
- “So many things are coming nowadays on social media. People are getting lynched but no one seems to be bothered,” the Bench observed.
Modi govt supporting lynching: CPM
- Raising a number of issues from lynching to hate speech, the Communist Part of India (Marxist) on Saturday alleged that the Narendra Modi government is destroying everything in the country.
- Pointing to a number of alleged statements by BJP lawmakers in recent days, the CPM said in a series of tweets that these statements are the result of support that the BJP lawmakers are getting from the Union government.
No lynching case in UP: Yogi
- Referring to the incidents of mob lynching, UP CM Yogi Adityanath recently said that no such case has been reported from the state so far but wherever these are happening, they have to be stopped.
- “However, cow smuggling and slaughter also should be stopped. “Under no circumstances can we allow cow slaughter and smuggling. Everyone’s faith must be respected,” he said.
- Adityanath rejected the charge that stray cows were causing problems for farmers.