New Delhi: After WhatsApp and Facebook, youths are getting addicted to online video streaming sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Hotstar.
In a first, a 26-year-old youth from Bengaluru had to be admitted to a hospital to cure his Netflix addiction. Dr Manoj Kumar Sharma, who is treating the youth at the renowned National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS), Bengaluru, said that the youth had lost his job about six months back. Since then, he started spending the better part of his waking hours watching online videos on Netflix. The addiction continued to grow and when he began spending up to 10 hours viewing the videos, his worried parents decided to admit him to the hospital. They said that he had turned irritable and behaved aggressively when they tried to counsel him to control his addiction.
Netflix library has 4,706 videos
[box type=”info” align=”” class=”” width=””]
- Netflix was launched two years back with 826 videos
- Now, its library has 4,706 videos
- The video content industry is growing at the pace of 14% per annum.
- In 2017, the world over, people were spending 56 minutes per day on watching online videos.
- In 2018, the figure grew to 67 minutes[/box]