BollywoodEntertainment

‘Most sanskaari person’ Alok Nath accused of rape, CINTAA supports accuser

Vinta Nanda, the write-director-producer of the '90s TV show 'Tara' in a long account on social media narrates her ordeal of facing sexual harassment.

After writer-producer-director Vinta Nanda gave a shattering account of rape and violation from nearly 20 years ago, and said that the alleged rapist was a ‘sanskaari’ actor, the internet was quick to spot the accused.

Alok Nath instantly began to trend on Twitter with many calling for prosecution. The veteran actor’s name is associated with ‘sanskaari babuji’ as he had portrayed several such characters in films back in the ’90s and early 2000s.

Twitterati’s reaction:

Nanda’s terrifying story of trauma has received many responses from Twitterati including Richa Chadha, Swara Bhasker, Mallika Dua and Mini Mathur on the micro-blogging site.

Mini Mathur tweeted, “For heaven’s sake. To think someone as avante garde and ballsy as Vinta Nanda went through this torture and couldn’t speak up for 19 years! This makes me so sad and angry.”

Also read: ‘Queen’ director forcefully tried to kiss my lips: Actress says in anonymity

Vinta Nanda’s accusations against the ‘sanskaari actor’

Vinta Nanda’s account in a Facebook post begins on the set of ’90s show Tara which she wrote and produced. Alok Nath had allegedly harassed the lead actress Navneet Nishan, and then the “alcoholic, shameless and obnoxious” man also turned on Nanda, later. “I hadn’t just been raped, I was taken to my own house and had been brutalised,” read her post.

She added, “The only reason I’m telling this story now is because I don’t want that any girl should ever fear holding the truth back. What followed because of my silence was even worse. I became easy prey because the message had been put out that I was afraid and so I would not open my mouth.”

Nanda concludes her account by writing, “Irony is that the man, the predator in question here is the actor par excellence who is known as the most #Sanskaari (Cultured) person in the film and television industry.” The “sanskaari” title is popularly attached to Alok Nath by virtue of the several roles of the ideal father figure he has played on television and films over the years.

His wife was my best friend. We were in and out of each other’s homes, we belonged to the same group of friends, most…

Posted by Vinta Nanda on Monday, October 8, 2018

Also Read: ‘This is not only a problem in Bollywood but every industry’: Preity Zinta on #MeToo movement

CINTAA extends support

Cine And TV Artistes’ Association or CINTAA has reacted promptly to Nanda’s allegations. Actor Sushant Singh, a CINTAA official, tweeted to say that Alok Nath will be sent a show cause notice asking him to explain why he should not immediately be expelled from the film body. Singh also advised Vinta Nanda to file a formal complaint, promising full support.

Nanda’s account forms part of the #MeToo movement in the Hindi film industry, which has taken social media by storm with actors such as Rajat Kapoor, author Chetan Bhagat and singer Kailash Kher being named for alleged harassment.

Two weeks ago, Tanushree Dutta named actor Nana Patekar as her alleged harasser on a film set 10 years ago. Filmmaker Vikas Bahl has also been named as an alleged predator by four women, two of whom are actresses he directed in Queen. The director has been restricted from promoting his latest film with Hrithik Roshan Super 30. The lead actor, Hrithik, took to Twitter to opine on the serious allegations against Bahl:

RELATED ITEMS:
Show More