Bhopal: A 12 1/2-hour hostage drama from 7 am to 7.30 pm ended here on Friday evening when the city police rescued a model after holding talks with her crazy stalker, who had held her captive in her own room in an apartment here, demanding that she marry him.
The victim and the kidnapper are currently undergoing treatment in a city hospital. Doctors say the woman, Vibha Shrivastava, sustained injuries on her neck and hands. The man, identified as Rohit Singh, has a leg injury.
In her statement to the police, which was recorded in front of a magistrate, Vibha said, “Rohit Singh alias Regal Singh threatened my life. He came to my house at around 6am and pushed me inside my room at gunpoint. He attacked and injured me. I do not want to marry him.”
The day-long drama played out a Vibha’s flat on the fifth floor of Fortune Divine City in Misrod locality.
Rohit, 32, a resident of village Godha of Aligarh district in Uttar Pradesh, claims he works as an assistant casting director with several producers in Mumbai. Vibha, who has done her M.Tech from Bhopal, is a struggling actress-cum-model in Mumbai.
Rohit had also barged into Vibha’s flat in February and tried to hold her hostage at gunpoint.
How the drama started
- On Friday morning, Vibha’s family members ran to her room, after they heard her screaming. They found Rohit inside the room. Rohit then locked the door from inside, after which, Vibha’s parents informed the police.
- Sources said Rohit reached Bhopal by a late night train on Thursday. He then reached her apartment complex in the wee hours of Friday. However, it is yet to be established, how he barged into the house and entered Vibha’s room.
Rohit’s father to police: ‘I have disowned him’
- Initially, a Dial-100 vehicle was sent to the spot. The police personnel tried to convince Rohit to open the room door, but failed to do so.
- Later, town inspector of Misrod police station, Sanjeev Chouksey, and his team rushed to the spot, but they also failed to convince Rohit.
- He told the police to call media persons, and added he would only come out, after talking to journalists.
- He asked the police to call his father to Bhopal. However, when the police spoke to his father, he said he has disowned Rohit, and the police can do what they want.
- He also threatened if police tried to break open the door, he would shoot Vibha and himself.
- Rohit released a video after senior police officials and journalists rushed to the spot, in which he claimed that police personnel had attacked Vibha and himself, with sharp-edged weapons.
- In the video, he showed blood stains spreading on the floor of the room. The video also showed Vibha lying in a pool of blood.
- He also showed a handwritten affidavit that had both their signatures. The affidavit, written on behalf of Vibha, claimed that she wanted to marry Rohit.
The turning point of the rescue operation
- About 60 police personnel, including senior police officers, were pressed into the rescue operations.
A team of state disaster management force (SDRF) was also pressed into action.
- On Friday evening, SP South Rahul Kumar Lodha, additional SP Dharam Veer Singh and additional district collector Disha Nagvanshi used a hydraulic crane to reach the flat of the balcony.
- ‘I spoke to him in person and assured him that all his demands, including that of marrying Vibha, would be met.
- He later sent Vibha to the balcony, who said that she also wanted to marry him. We then convinced him to open the main door of the flat, and were then able to rescue Vibha, and detain Rohit,’ said a police officer.