Bhopal: The wife and daughter of an employee of the Barkatullah University (BU) were molested by three bike-borne men on the varsity premises on Monday night. The molesters are yet to be identified.
Meanwhile, the BU administration has adopted a bizarre and insensitive attitude. It has made it clear that celebrating the Foundation Day of the university on Wednesday was its top priority and that a probe into the incident could wait.
The incident happened when the wife of a BU employee, posted in the examination section, was returning to her home on the university premises after fetching her daughter from a coaching class.
Students, hospital staff help
They had just crossed the Aquaculture Department building when three motorcycle-borne men started passing vulgar comments on them. Both panicked and quickened their pace. However, the bike riders continued to follow them. They then began to run and the woman took out her mobile and informed her husband.
But even that did not deter the men and one of them got off the bike and caught the hand of the daughter. The two then began to scream at the top of their voice, which drew attention of students staying in the hostels and employees, who rushed to the spot. Then the bike riders drove away.
Guards were drunk
On getting information, DC Gupta, the acting V-C of the university reached the place. By that time, a big crowd had gathered there. After talking to both the victims, the V-C summoned the guards posted on the premises. Some of them were found dead drunk. The two victims said that they did not know the accused men. Registrar UN Shukla did not deem it necessary to enquire about the incident.
Celebrations first, probe later
DC Gupta, acting V-C of BU, while talking to DB Post, admitted that wife & daughter of a varsity employee were molested on the campus on Monday night. He said that the molesters were yet to be identified. “In any case, our first priority is the Foundation Day event, scheduled for Wednesday. Let the programme be over, then we’ll probe the incident and ensure that the perpetrators are punished,” he said.
Meanwhile, Guv to attend function today
- The 48th Foundation Day of the University will be celebrated on Wednesday.
- Governor Anandiben Patel will be the chief guest of the function. This would be the first time that Patel will be attending a function at BU.
- Earlier, she was invited to the convocation ceremony of the university, but she turned down the invitation, presumably because the university was embroiled in many controversies.
- It remains to be seen whether, after this incident, she still takes part in the programme. The BU administration is immersed in preparing the event and is trying its best to hush up the incident.
- Senior officials of the university have asked the employee concerned not to report the matter to the police.