New Delhi: In a strange incident in China – a man had to surrender himself to the police after his wife killed herself and their two children on receiving the news of his ‘ fake death’
Earlier, the 34-year-old man was presumed dead after his car was found in a river, though his body was never recovered. However, he did not tell his wife of alleged plan and she believed he had died in real. Owing to this development, the woman jumped into a pond with their children after posting a suicide note online. As per reports, the man has been charged with insurance fraud and intentional damage to property.
- He, from China’s southern province of Hunan, has confessed that he had bought a life insurance policy worth 1 million yuan (US$144,000) on September 7, without telling his wife. According to a report by state-run Voice of China radio, his wife was named as the beneficiary.
- On 19 September, he used a borrowed vehicle to fake his own death in a car crash, police said. He was found to have loans of more than 100,000 yuan.
- On 11 October, the bodies of his 31-year-old wife, their four-year-old son and three-year-old daughter were found in a pond near their home, according to the Voice of China.
- In a suicide note posted on WeChat, she wrote that she was coming to “accompany” him, adding that she had “only ever wanted our family of four to be together”, the Voice of China added. Mr He turned himself over to police the next day.
- He had earlier posted a video online, which was later widely circulated, in which he was crying and saying he had borrowed money to pay for treatment for his three-year-old daughter, who suffered from epilepsy.
The incident has been widely talked about across Chinese social media over the past week, sparking conversations about financial pressures and familial issues.
The hashtag #ManFakesDeathLeadingtoWifesDeath has been viewed almost 29 million times on microblogging-site Weibo.